Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Special Birthday Cards- Building the Birthday Stash

 Several of the teenagers in my family are turning 16 or 18 this year!  It's nuts.  They all need to stop growing.  It makes me feel very old. One of my nieces is turning 10!  

Last week, I pulled out my number dies and got cutting, because I needed lots of 10's, 16's and 18's to stick on my cards. I also got out the list of 'favourite colours' and got cracking.  Here are the cards that I've made so far. 

A simple card- I made this by 'free range' stamping the Happy Birthday sentiment
repeatedly down the cardstock on a diagonal. I staggered it to add interest. 
Glitter card stock for the hexagon die cut helps the silver glitter 18 stand out from the background. 
Sentiment is from Lawn Fawn (year 2?). Number dies from Altenew. 
Ink colours from CPD: It's a Boy, Fiesta Blue, Something Borrowed and Suede Shoes.

This card was soooo easy. A simple "Happy Birthday" sentiment, 
white heat embossed on black card stock. 
Red cardstock for the background and gold glitter cardstock for the number. 
My nephew loves "The Flash" and last year I made a card with the Flash logo.  
This card is a twist on the card I made last year- using an 18 instead of a lightning bolt. 

The recipient of this card loves purple and is a cat lover (like me). 
I used a paper tearing technique to mask off a section at a time to ink blend on the card. 
I started at the bottom with the darkest purple ink and worked my way up the card. 
I used a lighter shade of purple in each section. I love the cute little paw prints across the bottom of the card to add a more personal touch to this design.  More glitter card stock was used for the 18. 

I started by making the 16 and adding a leaf stamp for the flames. 
It looks like those number candles that you buy in the shops, right?
I stamped the 'sweet' in an ink from CPD called "Sweet Sixteen".  
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that really cool! lol. 
After die cutting it with a stitched rectangle die and adding a gold mat, it still didn't look right. 
The doodle garden background stamp (also stamped in the Sweet Sixteen ink colour)
was the perfect addition to finish off this card. 

The final card took me the longest and includes a bunch of techniques.  For some strange reason (perhaps I'm crazy), I decided to make a gatefold card for my nieces 10th birthday card.  I hope she likes it.  She also loves cats and all things art and craft.  I often feel we are kindred spirits in that regard.  The front was created with ink smooshing and more glitter cardstock for the '10'.  I used ink blending for the inside of the card and stuck on a cat image that I coloured some time last year.  I told you, it took ages. I also found some pre-stamped punny sentiments that I thought would work "puurrfectly" inside the card.  I had the balloons already die cut as well.  Check it out. 



I hope you have a great week! 

Happy Crafting!