Friday, January 18, 2019

The Mighty Ones Winning

A year ago, I stumbled on a website/ blog called "The Mighty".  I was directed to the blog from a Pin on Pinterest, or maybe it was a Google Search.  After finding the article I read very helpful, I explored a little more and I pinned something.  Since then, The Mighty started appearing in my Pinterest 'Feed' much more often.  Some of the pins drew my attention while other pins didn't.  When I clicked on a pin, I was inevitably sent to an informative, interesting and helpful blog post of some description. These posts were all part of "The Mighty". 

What is "The Mighty"? you might be wondering and Why do I love it so much?

The Mighty is a community of people with disabilities including chronic illnesses such as fibromyalgia, adrenal fatigue syndrome, anxiety, depression, chronic pain and more!  You don't have to be a member to read the articles. If you want to comment, ask questions or participate in the forums you need to become a member.   You might be wondering why I am so excited about a website about disability and chronic illness.  I have chronic pain and you can read a little about my personal journey here.  

Reasons The Mighty is a great website


1. Members include doctors and allied health professionals and they contribute to the content. 
2. Most members are people who live with chronic illness or are close to someone who does. 
3. Articles are accessible for anyone who can read (you don't have to be a medical professional). 
4. The content is real and honest, written by real people who share their real life experiences. 
5. It reminds me that I'm not alone.  I'm not the only one who lives with pain every minute of every day. 
6. Some members are worse off than me and they keep getting out of bed every morning.  This encourages me to do the same. After visiting The Mighty, I feel grateful.  
7. Content includes strategies that others use successfully to manage their pain, their daily lives, household chores, social interactions and more. 
8. It's helpful for family members of people with disabilities, including chronic pain, to learn from other people living with disability.  Strangely enough, sometimes, hearing it from a stranger gives it credibility.  It can help you see that this isn't something your loved one imagined or 'plays on'.  

If you have a chronic illness, or you know someone who does (a family member, a friend, your partner), you need to visit The Mighty even if you only do it once.  

That's that then.