Friday, November 16, 2018

November Goals Check-in

Today we have lots of reasons to celebrate! 

During my vacation in September, I worked hard at cutting out foods that I don't need and don't really want (but often eat for emotional reasons). I cleaned up my eating.  
These foods include: 
chocolate, 
ice cream
iced bun loaf 
cake (I don't even like cake, why do I eat it?) 
cheesecake! (I love cheesecake)

I only drink tea and water. I drink a lot of water.  I eat 3 meals a day and any snacks are fruit or an occasional cracker biscuit.  When it comes to meals, I attempt to keep it to vegetables, salad, red or white meat, some bread and (because I can't live without it) cheese.  

In five weeks, I have lost 4kgs.  I am over the moon!  I know that it's a bit faster than what can be maintained, but I feel like I'm really making lifestyle changes that will last.  
In addition to changing my food choices, I have been exercising 5 days a week!  I'm still doing it, too!  Good for me! I finally came up with a plan that is realistic and therefore, achievable and I'm sticking with it!  

Last time we checked in with my goals I told you that I felt like I have turned a corner and some sort of switch has been flicked inside me.  There are a few events/ activities and a few resources I used that found the switch and got me to the corner.  However, I still needed to take the step and flick the switch. It amazes me how some words or a single event can affect so much change.  

Let me tell you what happened.

I did some reading.  Sounds simple.  I read my Bible and I completed a couple of Bible reading plans about weight loss.  One of them was the 7 Cycles to Biblical Weight Loss (available here) and the other one was on a blog.  They helped me to put "eating" and my perspectives on food into a different context.  I have had been on a long journey with weight loss, dieting, not dieting, healthy eating and self esteem linked to body image.  For a huge chunk of that journey, I did not even consider that these issues belong to God.  My body belongs to God and it's my job to care for it.

I had often remembered the Bible verse about the Christian's body as a temple of God when I talked about my choice not to smoke, drink alcohol or use recreational drugs.  I never thought about that verse in the context of food.  This shift in my mind and my heart, has results in a new way of thinking about my body.  This new way of thinking about my body has changed how I eat and how I think about food.

The women who contribute to these blogs explain it very well and I don't want to try and go deeper into it and mess it up.  Please check these links below.

Equipping Godly Women
Grace Filled Plate

I will probably talk more about my eating and my new perspective in the future.  However, for now I'm going to leave it at this.

I haven't lost 30kg (again), had surgery, changed religion, started an extreme workout or an eating regime and I didn't go to a fat farm or counselling.  I am just thinking differently about my body, food, eating, exercising and my health.  That's all I'm saying.

Until Next Week....