Friday, August 17, 2018

Card Creation Technique of the Month

I still haven't used up all my patterned paper!  I needed a break from it though.  I had some fun with a technique that is so simple and the last thing I ever would have thought to do with my supplies if I hadn't seen the You Tube videos.  

Here's how it works.  

1. Choose a colour palette of dye inks.  (I started with blues and greens)
2. Swipe the ink pads on some cardstock or water colour paper (each will give you different looks).
3. Have fun.... Try lots of different ways to touch the ink pads to the paper.  You can sit it straight on, like a potato print, swipe it softly or press down as you move it across the card stock.    
4. Spray the card stock with water and watch your inks react with the water.  
5. Lay a stencil over top and spray water onto it OR use an ink blending tool to add another layer of ink.  
6. You can use the same colour ink to create a tone-on-tone style or change up the colour.  
7. Choose some small stamps to stamp over the top in the same colours (more tone-on-tone).
8. All this works best if you let your card stock dry between layers (or you can use a heat tool). 
9. HAVE FUN with this technique.  

If you want to, use Wink of Stella, gold/silver pigment ink or just plain glitter to add some shine.  You can use the same direct to paper techniques with the pigment ink that you used with the dye inks in step 2 or, choose a graphic stamp to give it some real shape.  

I went a little nuts with this.  The beauty is, you can have heaps of fun with it because no two card panels will look the same.  So, just relax and keep playing until you love it! 
I cut down some of my panels into card front size.  A few I used to die cut some greetings like "happy birthday" or geometric shapes.  Die cutting some words meant that I could make multiple cards using the same panel.


I cut the others into strips of various widths to add to cards (like patterned paper).  Check out some of the other cards I made.  


All the ink colours are from Catherine Pooler Designs Party Collection, Sentiments are a selection from Kaisercraft, Catherine Pooler Designs and Avery Elle. These links are not affiliate and I get no compensation if you click through. :)

Have fun!