Friday, August 24, 2018

Book Week

It's that time of year again!
Australia's Book Council celebrates Book Week this week!

The winners have been announced!  Check out the list.

It's the time we all celebrate the children's authors we have in Australia and we promote the joy of reading.  My favourite week of the year.  Almost.

Authors included on the short list include the highly accomplished Mem Fox,
Emily Rodda and Alison Lester.  All of whom have won in previous years.
The book I can't wait to read is the winner of the Eve Pownall Award for 2018: Don't Lick This Book! written by Idan Ben-Barak, Illustrated by Julian Frost and published by Allen and Unwin.
A book about microbes!  I can't wait to check it out. 

This time of year can be rather stressful for some parents!  You see, most primary schools will have extensive Book Week celebrations to promote reading.  There will be book fairs (buy a book, Mum), costume parades (dress up as your favourite book character), reading challenges, competitions and so on.
Earlier this week, we received a text message from my sister.  Ms 6 year old asked her mother "Mum, what will I wear to the book week parade? I need a costume, tomorrow!"
Stress Attack!
After questioning some of the older children and rummaging through the school bags, Sis found a note explaining that Book Week celebrations would culminate in a special assembly on Friday.  All the children were encouraged to dress up as their favourite character from a book they have read.  So, Sis (true to form) texted her Mother.  Also my Mother.

"What am I going to do about that?"

My mother, (also true to form) went into her sewing room and found a red hooded cape.  The same red hooded cape that I wore when I was about 6 or 7 years old and Sis wore when she was about 6 or 7.  You see, schools have been having these dress up days for about 70 years (as long as Book Week has existed)! So, Book Week has tortured parents for more than half a century.

Dear Parents, You're not alone.

So, Ms 6 is going to school as Little Red Riding Hood.  I wonder if she has read that book?

Anyway, Happy Book Week!