Friday, January 20, 2017

Goal Setting for 2017

There are lots and lots of websites, blogs, articles and even organisations out in the world that tell you about goal setting.  Everyone is on the 'goal setting kick' when the New Year rolls around.  I think I have already told you about my initial planning activities. 

Today, I went a step further.  I feel like there is a lot of space on my schedule now that Dad has decided to vacate it.  I feel bad for filling it up so quickly.  I wonder if he minds?  On the other hand, I almost feel like I can't face the idea of doing anything new or real.  I know I need to take it slowly.  So, I will. But, I think it's important to be ambitious in the early stages of planning otherwise it is hard to get oneself excited. 

Anyway, here is step 2... I used a printable from A Camera and A Cookbook, edited it to suit me, then filled in the spaces.  Lysha from A Camera and A Cookbook uses the printable as a brainstorming prompt for goal setting and then narrows things down from there.  She has other resources included in the post so it's worth checking it out. 

I deleted some of the verb starters as I didn't want to overwhelm myself and while I wanted to be ambitious I also wanted to make things easier.  All of these could fit under some broader goals that I had in mind for this year, however I have tried to make all of them SMART goals so I am more likely to achieve them.  This is also a better way to set goals so one doesn't feel quite so overwhelmed.  It's important not to let yourself get too carried away when goal setting, keep your goals simple and few!!


This Year, 2017, I will…

Quit… eating because I’m bored, sad, angry, frustrated or confused.

Eat…   three balanced meals and two snacks at least 6 days a week. 

Start… exercising for 30 minutes, at least 4 times a week.

Visit… family and/or friends once a month.

Accept… that I cannot fix everything. 

See…    Melbourne in real life.

Learn… at least 12 scripture passages by heart. 

Give… to Christian Missions overseas and in Australia (12 times or once a month).

Be…   Quiet.

Grow… spiritually by reading my Bible 5-7 times a week and attending church at least 3 times each month.

Invest… in reaching these goals.


We will see what happens next.