Friday, March 29, 2013

What is so good about Good Friday?

As a life long church go-er I have attended many Good Friday services.  Before each of them I have a feeling of trepidation.  I am a 'worshipper' and the thought of reflection on one of the most confronting part of the gospel does not excite me.  I understand the importance of Good Friday and the reflection that it brings.  But, when I leave a Good Friday service it often feels unresolved.  While I know the end of the story, it is like someone has stolen my book before I had a chance to read the last chapter. 

Today I decided that I would walk into this "Good Friday" service with a different attitude.  My perspective needed a change.  I was also determined to end the story, or at least, resolve the service for myself. The service began with beautiful music and ended with beautiful music and somewhere in the middle there was a poignant drama about how we treat Jesus in our daily lives and a Bible message about the 'ridiculous' occurrences on the day which we remember as Good Friday.  

It reminded me that the very actions of the 'crowd' in Jerusalem are no different from those of people today.  We ask why! Then we tell ourselves that this was part of the plan.  Today (with my changed perspective) I realised that there is so much in our world that we question.  We are always asking why.  Every single day, ridiculous, nonsensical, inhumane decisions are taken by the leaders and the followers in our world.  Every single day, sad things happen.  Every single day the world astounds me and today I realised why Good Friday is so "good". 


The sadness of the day, the true happenings and history of this event and the ridiculous actions of the figures, are not at all why this day is Good.  But, GOOD is the reason that these events happened.  The world has always been a place of sadness and questions.  Today is the only way we go on.  Today we remember that we are not perfect and we are not alone in our imperfection.  Today we remember that there is better than this.  We learn of the Soul Saving, Eternal Love and Forgiving Grace of God.  It is finished.  it is accomplished.  It is done.  

Today is Good Friday because now there is a true resolution to the problem.  All we have to do is realise it.  


For there is one God, and there is one who brings God and human beings together, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself to redeem the whole human race. That was the proof at the right time that God wants everyone to be saved, 1 Timothy 2:5-6 GNT

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!