Friday, August 31, 2012

NLNW Favourite Children's Literature


Did you know that it is the last day of Literacy and Numeracy Week 2012? That’s right it is National Literacy and Numeracy Week.  It is also Friday, the day of favourites.  Therefore to merge the two I have decided share a couple of my favourite picture books and two of my favourite children’s authors.  Let’s face it, the kids’ books are usually the best anyway.  The Numeracy side of life has been a little neglected. I will have to work out how to make up for that.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Voirst

I can retell this story without the book.  I love the repetition in this book and I love the simplicity of the plot.  Poor Alexander is having one of those days.  He woke up in a funk and the whole day is just one failure after another.  For some reason I could very easily relate to Alexander and the lack of sympathy he gets from those around him.  But Alexander must have had a similarly profound impact on others of my generation, as he is quite the popular guy these days.  I have a friend of a friend who named her child Alexander after the character in this book. A simple YouTube search will lead you to several videos of read alouds, animations, readers’ theatre performances and children’s plays all based on Alexander’s rotten day.   

My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes by Eve Sutton and Lynley Dodd

This is another “repetition” book.  I remember my year 1 teacher reading this book to the class and it instantly became a favourite.  We all know how much I love rhyme and for some reason the idea of all these imaginary cats doing such silly things delighted me as well.  However, the cat who likes to hide in boxes was more enchanting than those of the imagination.  This was another book that I could quote parts of without the book itself and it has stuck in my mind for more than 20 years.  I sound so old! Anyway, I found a brand new copy at a local bookstore a few years ago and I had to buy it.  I love sharing this one with the nephews and nieces and it is just the right length too. 

Winning Authors

I have mentioned before that GraemeBase is probably one of my favourite author/ illustrators.  I can’t possibly choose one of his books to be more favourite than any of the others.  I love his alliteration, rhyme, hidden messages, illustrations and imaginary worlds.  You cannot understand the wonder of a Grame Base book until you experience it.  His books are irresistible.


Another Favourite Author, who I’m sure I have mentioned before is Jackie French.  She writes picture books, young adult fiction novels, non-fiction texts and a blog.  This lovely lady, I have never met, has a fascinating story of her own (dyslexia presented her with many challenges to overcome at school and during her writing career).  Jackie French has written something for everyone.  




Happy Reading! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!