Thursday, August 30, 2012

A time to learn

Thursday is upon us.

It is National Literacy and Numeracy Week.  Have I mentioned that already?  I have?  Oh, well, just in case you missed it.

At school the plan is for everyone to celebrate the fundamentals of learning.  The reading, writing and arithmetic that is necessary for learning all the other subjects is supposed to be explored this week.  Our school has had much planned.
I have been disappointed by the response (or lack thereof) of the staff and students at my school.  I didn't expect the students to behave much differently, but I did expect that the teachers would show just a little more enthusiasm.  While I walked briskly towards my staffroom on Tuesday (after a disappointing Literacy event) I tried to hide my overwhelming despondency and anger.  Let's face it people, I was frustrated.  I swore quite a bit in the silence of my empty classroom.  I am not ashamed to admit it.  I am human and I have feelings too.

I considered a nasty email sent out to all staff.  I thought about a sharply worded complaint to the administration of the school (who, by the way, were happy to let the event occur, but did not attend).  I even imagined how it would go if I suddenly busted into the deputy principal's office and told him what I really felt.  Then, I sat down at my desk.  The tears would not come.  I was too angry for tears.  I just sat.  Then I remembered, that there is a time for everything and everything happens in its time.  I realised that an immature outburst in my deputy's office or worse, on the internet, would only do damage to my cause.  So, there I sat to settle down before getting back to the "to do" list.

God is Good.
Despite my disappointment, Tuesday, was a learning opportunity.  I have grown in the last year (not just physically).  The event and its fizzle showed me just how much I have learned.
There is a time to be speak and a time to be silent.  I still struggle with this one.  But, on Tuesday, I got it right.  It was a time to be silent, and so I was.

Today, I am thankful that God is my heavenly Father.  I am thankful, that His Word and His Spirit guides my path.  I am also thankful that I can read and write and even do arithmetic.  There is something I have that many others don't.  I am blessed.  I will lift my voice to heaven, because my God is Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!