Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cacophony..big word for a little book

I gave my nephew, Mr10yo, a book for his birthday last year.  We were hanging out at the DVD shop the other day and I suggested we hire out the movie to which he replied, "Nah, you gave me the book and it was really boring!"  So we hired out a film called Marmaduke about a great dane (that's a breed of dog :D) who moves from Kansas to California with his family.  It was funny and we actually watched it twice!  But I digress.
I got the book from Mr 10yo and decided to read it for myself.  I bought it for him because I had seen the film and I thought that he would enjoy the book.  Well, after reading the first chapter I understood why he didn't like it.  The story was awesome, it had  villians, disappearances, magic, fire, drama, love, friendship, fighting and conflict resolution.  But the novel itself was really badly written.  The authors had novelised the screenplay.  In an attempt to make themselves sound like literary geniuses they used all these really weird phrases and big words like 'cacophony.'  No wonder the poor kid was bored, he probably didn't understand a word of it.  Anyway, I sort of guessed the meaning from the context surrounding it, but here is the real definition for those OCD people out there.  You can even press the speaker button and hear a funny lady say the word.
Hope your Wednesday is Wonderful! Keep Safe!


ca·coph·o·ny

  [kuh-kof-uh-nee]  Show IPA
–noun, plural -nies.
1.
harsh discordance of sound; dissonance: a cacophony ofhoots, cackles, and wails.
2.
a discordant and meaningless mixture of sounds: thecacophony produced by city traffic at midday.
3.
Music frequent use of discords of a harshness andrelationship difficult to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!