Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's Wednesday

I have finally worked it out.  It's Wednesday today and it just so happens that I have actually learned a new word this week.  So another Wednesday Word has been born...


On Sunday morning I went to church with my parents.  During the sermon the "preacher" used the word propitiation.  He was using a Powerpoint Presentation.  I listened to the sentences around what he had said.  I read and re-read the related dot points.  Then I leaned over to my mother and whispered, "what does propitiation mean?"  to which she replied, "I don't know, I was going to ask you!" 

So, I "googled" it and according to Wikipedia: In Christianity, propitiation is a theological term denoting that by which God is rendered propitious, i.e., that 'satisfaction' or 'appeasement' by which it becomes consistent with his character and government to pardon and bless sinners. The propitiation does not procure his love or make him loving; rather, it renders it consistent for him to exercise his love towards sinners. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propitiation)

If you are confused then you are not alone.  I've had time to think about this and I think there is a simpler definition.  In my own words... propitiation is a noun (name) for the sacrifice and grace through which God offers salvation and forgiveness to those who have sinned.

Well that's Wednesday's new word!   Hope your Wednesday was Wondrous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!