Friday, December 6, 2019

While there is LIFE there is HOPE

Welcome to the first in my Advent series for this year.  It might seem a bit late, but it's never too late. I will start with a brief explanation of Advent, but the main purpose of this series is to share my reflections on each of the Advent themes as I participate in Advent traditions.

What is Advent Anyway? 

Many people only think Advent is a December Calendar with a chocolate or gift for every day leading to Christmas. While it's true that there is a commercial version of Advent, the real root of this indulgence comes from a tradition which dates back to the 4th Century church.  It was four weeks of  daily Bible reading and reflection during the weeks before Christmas.  Ironically, Advent was first considered to be a time of fasting prior to Christmas day, which allowed Christians to be more focused on spiritual matters during the season.  Advent comes from the Latin word, adventus which means "arrival".  So, the Advent season begins four Sunday's before Christmas. This year, that was the 1st of December.  This is the time when we get ready, we prepare for the arrival of Jesus.  We prepare for celebrating Christmas. Click here to learn more abou the origin of the Advent calendar and click here to learn more about Christian origin of Advent. 

The Advent Wreath

During the Advent season, there is a lovely wreath displayed in the church, with 5 candles.  Four of the candles each represent a particular theme which is the focus for each week: Hope, Love, Joy and Peach.  The fifth candle represents Jesus, The light of the world, who came to Earth at Christmas.  If you want to learn more about the Advent Wreath and symbolism of each candle check out this Learn Religion page and this Crosswalk.com page

Week One: HOPE

We began this week by reading about the prophecy of the coming of Jesus. Isaiah wrote about the birth of Jesus literally hundreds of years before it happened.  He wrote about a virgin giving both to a son and the impact this little baby would have on the world.  At first, this prophecy was considered to be a bit of a joke, but by the time of Mary and Joseph (Jesus' parents) were engaged, the Jewish people were waiting for a King to come and rescue them. They believed that God was going to send a saviour and they lived in hope for the day when the Messiah would arrive.  

As a 21st Century Christian I know the rest of the story.  I know how it all turned out and what Jesus did.  It certainly wasn't what the Jews were expecting.  I know that Jesus is coming again and I can live in hope for that day.  I also know that my God works in ways that are mysterious to the human mind and my expectations are nothing compared to His mighty power. I live in Hope that Jesus will come in my life time and put an end to the darkness in this world.  I have Hope beyond rational understanding that God created me and the stars in the sky, loves me, has a plan for my best life and a future for His people.  Hope in Jesus really does anchor my soul because my circumstances don't matter, the power of God does.  He is in control and I can trust Him.  

I'm getting ready for Jesus to come.  I'm making room in my heart.  I can't wait.  Do you understand why Christmas really is the best?! If you want to learn more about the Hope I am talking about, please feel free to ask any questions in the comments.  I will do my best to reply promptly. You might also like to check out the links on the left.  

Jesus Loves You and So Do I
See you next week,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!