Friday, November 8, 2019

Colouring on Cards

I bought myself a small set of alcohol markers earlier this year and I'm really enjoying them.  They are a less expensive brand (not Copics) and they were good for me to have a play with them and decide if I want to invest in a proper set of colours.  Let's check out some cards I have made using images I have stamped and coloured with my alcohol markers. FYI: my set is a random selection of colours as a sample pack.  It cost about $30 plus shipping, which was less than $10.

Make a Wish Birthday Cake


I love this cake, and it looks good on a card simply stamped as an outline. When coloured like this, it really pops and becomes a gorgeous feature of the card.  I created the background with Crayola water colour markers scribbled onto an acrylic block, then smooshed onto the paper with lots of water.  I stamped a few small 'burst' stamps to give it more texture.


One Hot Chick 

This stamp set from Avery Elle is so cute!  Unfortunately, the set has been retired by Avery Elle, however, it is available on sale here.  Colouring the 'chick' was easy.  I only used two shades of yellow, where as most people would use three different yellows to colour an image like this.  I didn't have enough yellow alcohol markers that were close enough together to blend well.  As I'm still learning, I usually stick to a two colour blend.  I might occasionally try a three colour blend, but those images don't usually end up on a card.  The background on this card was a light blend of "It's a Boy" ink from Catherine Pooler Designs, through a hexagon stencil by Kazazz.  I love this card.  One of my friends who has a great sense of humour and frequents the gym, should get a kick out of this.
By the way, I attached my 'chick' using an action wobbler, so little flick makes this chick bounce and shake around.  It's so much fun.


Koala Birthday 


Finally, I have a card which took me ages to create.  I stamped out and coloured the koala and I was so happy with it.  Then, I couldn't decide how to make it into a card! I couldn't decide on colours, a background or even a sentiment.  I had to walk away several times and make other cards before I could finally come back to this.  Eventually, I got it together and made this gorgeous card.  I'm so happy with how this turned out.  The koala was from Lawn Fawn's Critters Down Under stamp set.  The sentiment was from Young at Heart.  The balloons, party hat and streamers on the background were from an awesome set called Ring in the Celebration, by Winnie and Walter.  This set is so versatile. 

Check out this beautiful card! 



BONUS Cards... Layered Stamping

I bought a card magazine recently because it had freebie from Altenew!  A layering stamp set and stencil.  Altenew is known for their layering stamp sets which are easy to use and make stunning cards. I find layering sets a bit challenging at times, mostly because it seems to take so many steps to stamp something out.  However, these stamps are easy to line up and the finished images have so much dimension!  My mum was so excited when she saw this card.  


Can you guess which inks I used?! Lol

The outline stamp of this poppy flower can be used without the coloured layers too! 


There are some great ideas in the magazine to inspire you as well.  These cards don't even use the stencil so I will definitely be making more cards with this set.  You gotta love freebies!  Have you started your Christmas cards yet? Let me know in the comments. I really need to get onto that.  

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!