Friday, March 9, 2018

More Birthday Cards and Forgetfulness

I've told you before that there are a lot of birthdays between January and June.  It slows down a little until November then I'm busy with birthdays until Christmas!  Today I'm going to share some more birthday cards with you. Are you wondering about my forgetfulness? I didn't think so.  :)

There a few cards I have made in recent months that I have forgotten to photograph!  Can you believe that?  I usually take a photo of all my creations for a few reasons.
  • It really helps me to see the progress I have made since my first attempt at card making and now.
  • I can easily re-create cards that I have made before, because I can look at them again and again.
  • I use them as a springboard of inspiration when I need to make a card and don't have any ideas.  I like looking at photos of my own cards because I know that I have all the supplies available to me. 
  • Layouts and colours that worked well are right there for me to use again.  In the same way, layouts and colour combinations that didn't work so well can be easily seen and remind me not to use them again!
So, when I forget to photograph a card before giving it away, it makes me a bit sad!  In a few cases, I will be able to ask the recipients to take a snapshot of their card for me.  Some of the cards are lost forever.  Sad! :( Moral of this story: don't forget to take photos of your creations before you give them away! 

Let's get into these cards. 

Card #1


Coloured Card stock, Memento Inks: Rhubarb Stalk and Blue Sky. 
Cole's Numbers by Lawn Fawn. Hexagon Dies and Happy Birthday Die by Kaisercraft.
Wink of Stella clear shimmer pen was also used on the 50. 


This card was made for a friend who turns 50 at the end of the month.  He is a soccer coach so I used hexagon dies and a happy birthday die from Kaisercraft and number dies from Lawn Fawn.  Maroon, Sky Blue and Gold Yellow are the team colours for the West Ham Soccer Club (the team my friend supports).  While it was fairly easy to create, it was time consuming, as the hexagons had to be run through my Cuttlebug one at a time and I wasn't sure how many to make so I made more than necessary! I didn't have the exact colours of card stock, so I used a trick I learned from my Aunty.  I started with the colour of cardstock that was close to the colour I wanted, then used an ink blending tool to blend ink over the coloured card.  I started out lightly at first then kept blending until I was happy with colour the cardstock had become.   I'm very happy with the card.  I can't wait to give it to the recipient.  


Card #2


This card was created for my niece.  She loves rainbows and painting and art.  She also loves bubbles.  I think this card is perfect for her.  She turned 6 this week!  

Memento Inks, Happy Birthday Die from Kaisercraft,
Ring in the Celebration by Winnie &Walter. 

Card #3 (a set of cards)


Stitched Circle Dies, Hexagon Dies, HB2U stamp set by Sugarpea Designs, 
Eva's Favourite Flowers stamp set by Winnie & Walter, Lovely Flowers stamp set by CP Designs, 
You Did It stamp set by CP Designs.

I went a little nuts the other night.  I decided to use up some patterned paper!  A basic layout and a set of stamps can help you create some great stuff.  These were inspired by Catherine Pooler's KISS card series.  Now I have quite a few cards in my stash, ready to go, and it took me less time than I spent on the first card in this post! 

Card #4 (another set)

This was time consuming! I used square punches and patterned paper to make these cute presents.  Four squares of patterned paper are glued onto a larger square of plain card stock. Then use a circle punch to make a circle of the same plain card stock.  Cut the circles in half and attach them to make bows.  You don't have to make circles, you can tie some ribbon bows and adhere with some liquid glue.  A sentiment and some stickers (enamel dots), gems, sequins or tiny stamps and it's done.  Easy!  Just a bit fiddly! 

Tuxedo Black, Dandelion, Sky Blue, Paris Dusk inks by Memento. 
Flowers are from Lovely Flowers stamp set by CP Designs.
The blue gift from Ring in the Celebration by Winnie & Walter. 


Card #5 (the same layout)


Stamps are from the Love is in the Air Stamp of Approval Collection (no longer available)
Inks by Memento.

Block stamps are from the Love is in the Air Stamp of Approval Collection
Sentiment from the You Did It stamp set by CP Designs

I know these aren't birthday cards, but the first one could be!  Basically, a rainbow with border stamps (or little block stamps) and a sentiment.  Easy!  So Easy! So Quick! So much Fun! The trickiest part of this layout is lining up the border stamps.  You can use grid blocks or a stamp positioning tool or stamping platform to help out.  This layout could work for almost anything, just change out the sentiment.  

So, no specific technique to share this month, but a couple of tips I shared along the way.  I hope you found it entertaining at the very least.  Most of the products I used are available from the following online stores or Kaisercraft.  


Happy Crafting, See you next week!