Friday, July 15, 2016

Best of AGT: Favourite Bobby Pins!!

Today, we are revisiting a Friday Favourite from way back in January 2011 (click here to see the original).  I have edited it and added some extra info and ideas.  I consider this one of the Best of AGT, because I love how it's written and I still think the tiny bended wire known as the Bobby Pin is a modern marvel. 

Enjoy!


A favourite accessory of mine!  Earlier this week, I was doing my hair and I just wanted to get it off my face and my neck and I wanted to look cute and effortless.  A few well placed bobby pins and I was done!  Although there is also something to be said for good quality hairspray.  

The humble bobby pin has been around for a long time and has been credited for many famous hairdos.  It has been portrayed in films as the magic item that can hold an entire bun in place for 5 days then break-in to the back door in seconds.  One can only imagine what MacGyver could do with one.

I wonder if you really can pick a lock with a hair pin?

Whether it's a glam-do for a night out on the town, a messy bun for work or holding back the locks while you are touching up the make up, a good quality bobby pin (and maybe a few of its mates) are a girl's best friend!

But Be Warned:
1. Don't skimp or you might as well put twigs in your hair! This is one item where, even I (cheapskate queen), must purchase quality.
2. They are precious and have a habit of "disappearing" under the bed, between the couch cushions and at the bottom of your hand bag.  You paid good money for these magical little treasures, take care of them.  
3. A single Bobby Pin can't hold all your hair in place for a week of Kung Fu fighting.  Bobby Pins work best in groups. 

If you want your bobby pins to work even better try these tips that I found on Pinterest.

Sticky Pins- lay all your bobby pins on a tissue or paper towel and spray them with hair spray.  This way, they will stick to your hair when you slide them in to your latest "up-do". 


Sticky bobby pins:
Source


Bling Pins: Use beads or other embellishments to pretty up your Bobby Pins. 
10 Amazing DIY Hair Accessories with Simple Tutorials | Outfit Trends | Outfit Trends:
Source for Beaded Pins

I love these! I use bobby pins so often, and this is such an easy way to make them cute.:
Source for Button Pins

There are some great ideas out in magic internet land for improving your bobby pins.  The humble bobby pin; whether basic, sticky or bedazzled, is a great invention!

Have a Wonderful Day!