Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Honest Words



Wednesday is upon us and therefore it is time to explore the wonder of WORDS.  I often discuss the meaning of new words I’ve encountered.  Lately I have been thinking particularly about what words mean and the truth that may or may not exist in the things we write.  
Stand-up Comedian, sitcoms and average “Joe’s” all bemoan the complications of sarcasm and modern text based communication.  For example; How do you convey sarcasm when texting? What emoticon do you use to show you are rolling your eyes?
Sarcasm and Facetious comments are often difficult to decipher.  If the correct intonation is not utilised in the delivery of the comment than those listening may not realise that the speaker is not serious.  There are many people who do not understand sarcasm.  These people don’t hear changes in tone of voice or facial expression.  While we often think of such people as being socially inept, I no longer believe this to be true. 
The fact is, that the use of facetiousness or sarcasm is a “dangerous” way to interact with others.  When a writer or speaker uses irony or sarcasm to infuse a bit of wit into their text there is simply too much risk that the message will be lost in translation.  But do not fear, my dear, I have a solution. 

Actually, Dr Seuss has a solution.  He shared it with us in the book Horton Hatches the Egg through the words of Horton the elephant….

“I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.  An elephant’s faithful - one hundred per cent.”


Consider how much easier life would be for the Sheldon Cooper’s of this world if we all decided to be like Horton.  Try it for a day.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.  Stop the sarcasm.  Think before you speak.  You might find that there are far fewer misunderstandings in your life simply because no one is wondering what you meant. 
I know I am living in my own little world.  But I like it here. 
Words can mean many different things, so be sure to choose them carefully so you are not misunderstood.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!