Saturday, January 28, 2012

I used to think...

Number 100 from http://creativewritingprompts.com/ write for ten minutes using "I used to think..." as a starter.  Before I give you my response (which I think took more than ten minutes) I would like to tell you how this might be used in the classroom.  I think it would be a great reflection tool for the end of a unit of study; students can discuss the misconceptions they had at the beginning of the unit and what they know now.  The end of the school year would also provide a good opportunity for students to write about changes in their thoughts.  I am thinking about using this starter to write something a little more fun and cute which may end up as a nice example for kids using this starter. 

I used to think that I had it all figured out. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that marriage made me immune to heartbreak. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that being dedicated made me better than people who weren't. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that I was stupid. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that what other people thought of me was important. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that I was independent and didn't need other people in my life. 
I was wrong. 
I used to think that wanting something was enough to make it mine.
I was wrong.
I used to think that having an audience was proof that someone had something important to say. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that honesty was saying exactly what I was thinking when I was thinking it. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that everything everyone said meant something else. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that my family was always right. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that my best wasn't good enough. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that my church was my home and I would never leave it. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that I was the only one who felt like me and no one understood. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that I had to defend myself and my beliefs and my actions to anyone who questioned me.  I was wrong.
I used to think that my house had to be immaculately clean for guests to enter it. 
I was wrong. 
I used to think that I had to be organised and efficient and please everyone. 
I was wrong.
I used to think that I was right. 
I was wrong.
Now I think differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!