Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas vs Holidays and Stupid Emails

Okay People, I'm a bit ticked off! 

I just received an email from my mother.  While, it is not all that unusual for an email from my mother to tick me off, this time it is not her fault.  I kid, I love my mum, she doesn't tick me off that often.  But today, the email she sent me did tick me off... a lot!

Apparently a big fancy news reader, Ben Stein from CBS gave the world a bit of a rant.  The subject of which, was about Christmas Trees, and how they are now being called "Holiday" trees.  Something tells me this is a bigger deal in the US than it is here in Australia.  Apparently it is a big kerfuffle because Jewish people celebrate Hanukka and then there are Muslim people and atheists and they might get offended.  I wonder if the calendar will begin calling it Holiday Eve?  But you know what, I don't care what you call the trees or the event itself and you probably don't care what I call it either.  Haven't we grown up about this stuff yet?

Anyway, my rant is not going to be about the Christmas or the Holiday debate.  My rant is really about stupid emails.  You see, Mr Stein gave his little speech on CBS Sunday Morning Show (I'm assuming only a few days ago) and now I am sitting at my laptop opening my emails and I read this.  Admittedly, I had the choice to stop reading and press the delete button.  But it came from my Mum who wouldn't waste my time, so I thought that maybe I should read to the end. 

But the bit at the end was what made me mad!

Mr Stein, started talking about how Christians don't send on these emails because they don't know what their friends believe and they don't want to offend anyone.  Then he said that "we" care more about what other people think of us, than what God thinks of us and then he sets a challenge:

Pass it on if you think it has merit.If not, then just discard  it.... no one will know you did.  But, if you discard this thought  process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is  in.

How dare you Mr Stein.  How dare you try to tell me that I am a lousy Christian because I don't agree with you.  I don't care about the name of the trees.  I feel that there are big issues in this world and if my friends want to discuss that with me, I am here to discuss it.  But, I will not fill their inboxes with propaganda.  I will not insult my Christian friends by demanding they pass on an email that happens to mention God. 

God loves everyone and we should too.  So, tonight I will pray for you.

To all my readers and the passersby,
I hope your day is wonderful.  I hope that whatever you are celebrating this week, you do it with family and with friends.  I hope that you are blessed and drawn closer to God.  I hope that you send happy emails to the people in your address book.  I hope that you have a good night's sleep in a safe place.  I hope so much more for you than a "happy holiday" I hope for you a happy lifetime. 
:)M

PS. Mr Stein, I suggest you get yourself a blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!