Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Love Language Words of Affirmation

My apologies... I slept in!  Actually you know what... I'm not going to apologise for sleeping in, because for the first time in weeks, I actually slept!!! 


Okay, back down to business... Love languages week continues.  


Today Words of Affirmation. 


The greatest suggestion I can give you for this one is The Warm Fuzzy!  


In case you are not aware: Warm Fuzzies are things we say that make our friends feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. Just as our science teachers drummed into us, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Often a Warm Fuzzy is then reciprocated and ends up making you feel "warm and fuzzy inside" too.  Although, get out the sad face because on the flip side of Warm Fuzzies are Cold Pricklies.  These are the not so nice things we say that have the potential to make other people feel cold, unloved and sad inside.  


So how can we give Warm Fuzzies?


  • Say please and thank you
  • When someone does something well, tell them!
  • Notice the good qualities of your friends and help them see it.  
The BFF and I have warm fuzzy bags that don't get used very often.  But that is kind of the point.  Just whenever, or when we think it is needed, we put stuff in the Warm Fuzzy bag.  For example, sometimes I write a letter, or a card, or I cover something with stickers and when the BFF opens her bags she gets a big grin.  The BFF makes me stuff: like cards and paper cranes and paper flowers and writes nice stuff to encourage me. 

Words of affirmation need to be considered and sincere, saying "I love you" is sometimes not enough.  We need to hear that we are special and why we are special.