Friday, October 4, 2019

#oneword365 update

This will be a quick one!

I'm here to update you on my one word resolution for 2019. My word is "Pause". If you want to read more about my One Word 365 journey, click here.  Today, I want to talk briefly about the fourth point of my 'action plan' to live my word, Pause this year, it's Breathe First.

I used to think that intentional or controlled breathing was a load of proverbial rubbish.  The idea that by simply stopping to breathe and focusing on your breathing could positively affect your state of mind, help manage pain or change your overall health seemed a bit ridiculous to me.  In fact, whenever I tried controlled breathing, I often struggled to then ignore my breathing and relax.  Of course that was a result of my overwhelming anxiety rather than anything else.

This year, I have learned how to breathe better and I am noticing a difference in my physical health.  Of course the "breathing" is usually in conjunction with stretching or other exercises. I have to admit that this breathing thing actually works.  It doesn't cure the plague.  It can help you feel better in the moment.  It helps me feel better.

Check out resources for more information on controlled and intentional breathing, meditation with breathing and the health benefits of focusing on your breath from time to time.

I'm on school holidays and having a wonderful time.  I'm doing well.

See you Next Week.