Friday, August 23, 2019

Travelling with Chronic Pain- Packing

I have been travelling!

Chronic Pain has an impact on every aspect of your life.  Even when you go on holiday, the pain comes too.  The pain is usually not quite as bad when I am relaxing and don't have the same pressures that I have during work.  Unfortunately, there are certain aspects of travel that can cause pain too.  All of this means that you have to plan ahead and pack accordingly.

Shelly is very helpful when I'm packing.
This is the decoy suitcase! 

This particular trip was a four day escape to Canberra.  I live in Brisbane, so Canberra is about an hour and half away by plane.  The weather was very cold.. although not cold enough for snow... not in the city anyway.  Four days is not too long, so I packed light.

1. Clothes... including leggings and camisoles to wear underneath my regular clothes as well as underwear. This included jeans, a pair of long pants, several comfortable t-shirts and a jacket.
2. Pyjamas - tracksuit pants, an oversized t-shirt, a jumper and an extra pair of socks.
3. My Tablets!!!
4. Extra Pain Meds - Panadol, a prescription pain killer, magnesium tablets, an anti-inflammatory and more.
5. A heat pack - just a heads up here, make sure you will have access to a microwave before you take up precious space in your suitcase.  In a pinch, a hand towel soaked in boiled water works okay too.
6. An eye pillow - or you can use a wash cloth soaked in cold water.
7. Comfortable and Supportive shoes!!
8. I didn't pack a pillow, but I kind of wish I had.
9. Toiletries and skin care products.
10. Vicks Vapour Rub- it helps with lots of ailments and even if it doesn't help, it shouldn't hurt.
11. Some simple craft supplies- alcohol markers, a bunch of stamped out images, a clipboard, a pen and postage stamps.
12. A good book that I had already started to read and still haven't finished.
13. Bottled water (one bottle, that I refilled whenever I could.. staying hydrated is so important to staying on top of your pain).
14. Ear phones (so important for listening to meditations and music, especially as I was travelling with my Mum and we shared a king bed).

I think that's about it.  I told you I packed light. If you want to read more about how I managed my pain on a road trip check out this post.

What are your Essentials for Travelling?

In the next few weeks I will tell you more about our Awesome Canberra Adventure.

Until Then...