Friday, May 3, 2019

What Craft Supplies Do You Take On Vacation?

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I recently went on a five day road trip holiday with my Mum.  Read about how I survived the long haul drives here.  All this raised an interesting question.  It was interesting to me anyway.  If your craft (whether it's stamping, scrapbooking, drawing, painting, knitting etc) is also your therapy, do you take craft supplies with you when you go on vacation? If you do take craft, what do you take?  How much do you take? 

I know some ladies who will pack up several stamp sets, all their dies, a die cutting machine, all their inks and more.  I think that's a bit excessive.  Also, I was not travelling all that way to sit in a cabin and craft.  I can craft at home.  I was going to see the family.  I knew that my crafty time would be limited.  However, my nieces love to craft with me, so I figured that I would probably have some little helpers with me too.  This helped me narrow down what I took with me.  Do you want to know what made the cut? 

Firstly, we were attending a few birthday parties, so that determined some of my supplies because I knew my nieces and nephews would like to make birthday cards.  I also gave myself a limit - only what fitted in my craft caddy - and I didn't have a long time to pack.  This really helped.  I didn't have time to think about all the fun things I could do, I was more focused.  Here it is. 


This is an OLD photo of the 
craft caddy I took with me. 

Craft Supplies I packed for a 5 day Road Trip/ Vacation

A few basics:

  • card bases and envelopes
  • scissors and glue
  • lead pencil and eraser
  • a set of fine tip pens 
  • visual art diary (for planning/ drawing)

The rest:

  • a bunch of pre-cut "Happy Birthday" die cuts in several colours
  • about 20 tiny rolls of washi tape (an assortment from a Kmart multi pack)
  • zip lock baggies with an assortment of die-cut shapes 
  • some pre-stamped sentiments
  • a few pre-cut sentiment strips 
  • small shape punches (a heart, a few flowers, a circle, a butterfly)
  • some ink smoosh backgrounds and patterned paper from my stash
  • foil transfer accents (purchased at a local bargain centre)
  • a small Xyron sticker maker 

What I wish I had packed:

  • some watercolour markers
  • a basic sentiment stamp set (I have a few that I could have chosen to take with me)
  • a black ink pad 
  • an acrylic block or stamping tool
  • a bone folder
You might notice I took a lot of bits and pieces that I had already cut and stamped.  Most of these were left overs from previous projects that I didn't get to use.  I didn't take a lot of time getting these organised and I wasn't worried if my little helpers went crazy with anything or everything.  

This is the kind of sticker maker I have.
It was a gift from the BFF.  Thanks, Bestie! 
The girls loved using the foil transfers (which didn't require a laminator or special glue).  They also had lots of fun with the sticker maker.  It was cool to make their punched out shapes into stickers.  

What would you take if you had limited space and time? Let me know in the comments. 




See you next week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!