Monday, December 17, 2018

More Christmas Cards

I love making cards and I love trying out new techniques to see how I can stretch my supplies.  If I can do that, I don't need to buy as many products.  Nice! So, I couldn't put away my Christmas stamps, dies, embossing folders or ink colours, before making a few more cards, just for fun.  

I want to start by showing you two cards.  I used the same embossing folder but changed up the ink that I used.  I love both cards and  I will definitely be doing this again. I watch a video by Jennifer McGuire where she used ink in embossing folders and ran them through a die cutting machine.  I followed her instructions to make this card.  

I'm not sure if I didn't roll it through enough times, or if I didn't use the right ink.  I used CP's Grass Skirt ink and maybe it has a different formulation to the inks that Jennifer recommended.  If you have read my card posts before, you will know that I LOVE Catherine Pooler inks and stamps so I'm not saying anything negative about her inks.  I'm just saying that this technique is maybe better suited to other inks. I still love the look of this card and I will be sending it to a friend.  

While falling down a You Tube rabbit hole, I stumbled upon a video by May May Made It (she's so down to earth and so much fun).  She demonstrated a similar technique where you use the embossing folder and run it through your die cutting machine first, then drag the ink pads over the embossed card stock.  I figured I would give it a try.  Here's what I made.  

The same embossing folder from Kaisercraft, 
but I used Cottage Ivy from Memento Inks.

Video from May May (click to see the video). 

I absolutely adore the look of this technique!  It's so lovely.  I can't wait to try this technique with all of my other embossing folders.  Stay tuned for that in the New Year. 

This card was inspired by one I saw on Pinterest - click here to see the original


Images are from the Spot On stamp set by Catherine Pooler
Sentiment stamp from a set by Kaisercraft
Ink Colours are Grass Skirt and Rockin' Red by Catherine Pooler

This set of cards was created using just two stamps! Both stamps were part of FREE sets that came with a Stamping Magazine.  I'm sorry, I don't remember which ones they came with.  I glued my card panels onto some red card bases I had in my stash.

I used Memento inks on these cards
Rhubarb Stalk and Cottage Ivy. 
Just in case you're wondering, I used Versafine Black Onyx pigment ink for most of the sentiments on the cards in this blog post.  

Lastly, I made this card in less than 10 minutes! I used the left over stars from my bulk Christmas card set.  I swiped my Paris Dusk Ink (by Memento) across a card panel to make my night sky and stamped a sentiment in the bottom left corner.  Then I used some multi-medium matte glue to stick on my stars.  I smooshed some of my ink on to my craft mat and sprayed some water on it. Then I flicked it onto my card panel and base.  Before gluing the card panel onto the base, I used a silver gel pen to put some tiny polka dot stars all over the background.  Then, I stamped a sentiment inside my card. Done! :) 

It was quick, easy and fun. I love those cards.  Gluing on the stars was probably the step that took the longest.  Now, I have to work out who will receive this card from me.  

That's that then! 
May visions of sugarplums dance in your head.