Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Best of AGT: On Christmas Eve

NOTE: This short story first appeared here at AGT on Christmas Eve 2010.  Our family had a pet bird at the time and my sister had a pet dog at her house.  When I wrote this I was thinking about her pet dog.  This particular "Best Of" isn't based on number of page views, but on the fact that I really enjoyed writing it and I think it is one of my best stories.  AGT had a super small following in 2010 so maybe it will get to more people this year.  :D

A short story through the eyes of a family pet


There is an awful lot of excitement around here today.  Everyone is very busy!  No one wants to play ball with me and I'm done sleeping.  I have to say it's really noisy.  There are these really silly songs playing, they are about bells and sleigh rides and snow (whatever that is).  Mum is in the kitchen whipping cream and cutting up fruit.  Dad is playing computer games with the boys.  The girls are hiding in their room with shining stuff and scissors and they are really giggly.  


I don't know why I'm surprised though, this happens every year!  Mum (I don't think she's my real mum, we look nothing alike) has been preparing for months.  She keeps circling things in catalogues and shopping on the Internet.  Then, a few weeks ago there was a terrible raucous.  The big box came out of the cupboard and the kids went nuts.  There were big long snakes of shiny stuff everywhere, and little balls with cotton on them.  It was very confusing, no one let me play with them... they kept hanging them on the plastic tree and laughing at me!  


Last week the craziness continued.  Mum and Dad came home during the day with gigantic boxes and coloured paper.  There was ribbon and toys everywhere.  I have never seen so many batteries.  I couldn't understand what they were doing, it is usually the kids that play with toys.  Perhaps Mum and Dad wanted to have a turn before the kids got hold of them, they do have a tendency to break things. Not me of course, I can't be broken, I'm a tough guy.  It doesn't matter how often they scratch my ears or pull my tail.  I love them just the same.  There is nothing better than a nap on the couch with a kid curled up next to you.  Oh wait, yes there is.  Fetch!  It's the best game ever! Oh dear, here it comes...

 Uh-oh, reindeer ears.  The stupid girls are putting them on my head and taking photos.  My head feels crooked.  "AAAWWWW" they are saying.  Apparently I'm soo cute.  In actual fact, I soo have a headache.


They are putting out biscuits and milk, not for me, but for some guy they call "Santa."  I don't get it though,  I have never seen this Santa dude.  This time of year all the humans just go silly.  I worry about them.  But then after a few weeks the plastic tree gets put away and the shiny stuff goes back in the box.  Eventually everyone settles down, the kids go back to school and we all go back to normal.

Finally!  They are all going to bed.  I have to admit, bed time is a lot easier tonight.  Mum is saying that Santa won't come if they don't go to bed by 8.  I wonder how Santa comes in the house without me seeing or hearing him? I'm an excellent guard dog, you know!  Last year I got a present from Santa too. So maybe he waits until I'm asleep and tip toes through the house.  Ah well, he doesn't take anything... he just leaves gifts.  He must be a pretty cool guy!

Aaaahhhh, the lights are out and everyone is in bed, I'm just going to curl up on my bed and relax.  Apparently tomorrow is a big day.


Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!