Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Great Discovery of Decluttering

A few weeks ago, I decided it was time to de-clutter the family bathroom.  I called my mum (at work) and asked her if there was anything in the bathroom she didn't want thrown away.  She gave me a short list of items that were to be kept.  I had a few things that I wanted to keep.  I started sorting.

Some of the items I found were unexpected.  Some of the items I found were unexpected but not at all surprising to me.  Some of the items I found were not at all unexpected or surprising.  I haven't listed the regular bathroom items - well I listed some of them, so this is an almost complete list of what I discovered on Tuesday when I de-cluttered the family bathroom.

  • 2 plugs for the bathroom sink.
  • 4 ping pong balls- any cat owner probably finds ping pong balls in random locations in their house.  (Tell me you own a cat and have ping pong balls in random places!)
  • 1 set square.
  • 1 chisel
  • 1 bottle of valve oil (used for brass instruments of the musical variety) - with a loose cap. 
  • 1 screw driver
  • 1 pair reading glasses - in the second drawer of the bathroom cabinet - because if you need a spare pair of reading glasses the first place you are going to look is in the second drawer of the bathroom cabinet (yeah, right!).  
  • 11 disposable razors - why do I keep buying new razors?
  • 5 storage baskets (some empty, some half full of random bathroom items). 
  • 1 bag of cat food - not the brand that Shelly likes!
  • 1 tupperware container (no lid).
  • 2 large tubs of petroleum jelly.
  • 3 pressure bandages
  • 1 pair of first aid scissors
  • 1 tube of super glue
  • 1 colour swatch of the laminate that covers our kitchen bench
The bathroom items included (but weren't limited to) the following.
  • various hair products - some used.
  • almost empty deoderant bottles (men and women's)
  • various make up products (all of which were at least a year old).
  • 4 bottles of shampoo.
  • 15 bottles of conditioner (small half full ones that Mum has been saving for... something). 
  • 8 toothbrushes (all brand new)
  • 1 hair straightener.
  • 2 bottles of half full nail polish remover.
  • children's bubble bath
  • 2 large containers of sunscreen (1 very old and 1 almost brand new).
  • 1 small tube of sunscreen - also brand new.
  • a selection of first aid supplies such as sting goes, tea tree oil, peroxide. 
  • 1 hair dying bowl and two brushes.
  • a full set of hair brushes.
  • 2 full sets of hair combs (all those different sizes for all those different jobs). 

The point?  You never know what you mind find when you de-clutter a room.  I have to say that our- my- bathroom is far more functional now.  You gotta laugh at this stuff! 

I finished sorting, throwing away the rubbish and working out was being kept.  Then, I trolled through my own pins on Pinterest and checked out some great pins from other pinners.  Have I mentioned that I love Pinterest? I used all the great ideas that I found to plan the next step in my process- redecorating the bathroom!  I'm not going to show you pictures, because it's boring.  Just trust me- it looks awesome.  I didn't change structure or tiles of the bathroom, I just organised it!  

The drawers are cleaned out and lined with scented paper (I received some for a gift so I figured I would use it- I would never purchase such a ridiculous item).  Everything that I decided to keep has a place and there is room for more of the bits and pieces that bathrooms tend to accumulate (extra tissues, cotton tips, hand cream etc).  The items I use daily are lined up on a shelf beside the basin and the other bathroom items that you want close by but don't use all the time are arranged in baskets and square shaped cups.  Mum was invited on the shopping trip and allowed to have final say on the purchased items (even though she didn't spend a penny and secretly it was what I wanted all along!), so she was happy with the finished product.  

That's that then!!