Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How to personalise standard clip art


I'm very proud of myself.  I found this basic clipart picture while I was searching for something to decorate a Power Point Presentation that I was creating for my kids. 




 I inserted the picture and moved on before I had an epiphany.  I didn't like that it said "study time" on the blackboard.  So, I inserted a text box (in Word), typed the text that I wanted.  I then clicked on "shape fill" and chose a brown colour that was very close to the board colour.  I then chose white as my text colour.  All of these are buttons on the top "ribbon" or tool bars that pop up when you "select" the text box/ object you want to edit.  I played around with the font as well.  There were a few fonts that looked good, but the one I settled on was a life without rain. I downloaded it from urban fonts and if you click the link it will take you straight to the download page for that font.




I also created one for my year 8 class.  LNP stands for Literacy and Numeracy Program.  In case you are wondering.  

When I was happy with my colour matching (and I know it isn't perfect) and the positioning of my text box I took a screen shot.  Then I pasted the screen shot into "Paint" and cropped it down to be just the modified clip art picture.  I saved it in my pictures folder and now I have a "go to" decorative clip art picture to place on my Power Point presentations, class newsletters or worksheets.  I am certainly pleased with myself.  Some of you probably do this kind of thing all the time, but it was the first time I did it and I impressed a number of my colleagues at school when I showed them too.  

I often find clip art pictures that I like, but they aren't quite right.  Usually it is a simple corner/ element or word that needs to be tweaked.  So many times I have settled for something "second rate" because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  How sad.  

Since my great epiphany, I don't have to settle quite so quickly.  What do you think?

Happy Face :)
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!