Sunday, August 14, 2011

Patience Perfection

As a teenager I prayed for patience.  In my naivety I did not quite understand what I was asking.  You see, I thought that God would in time (like tomorrow) allow me to be calm when things did not go according to plan.  I assumed that I would be able to wait for people, events and even things.  You know what they say about assuming!  I was flabberghasted by what happened in my youth, because when I prayed for patience, the very next day I would find myself being impatient. 

I think, I am finally beginning to understand it.  I am much more patient than I used to be.  My phsychologist tells me that my higher tolerance level is because I am no longer 15 years old.  But there is more to it than that.  I have since learned that when we ask for something (like patience) God doesn't just hand it to us like a kid in a candy store.  God has a much better way.  He places us in situations that require the characteristic/ gift for which we have asked.  A gardener can't just click his fingers and suddenly have fruit.  So, God doesn't just give us the fruit of the spirit just like that.  He plants a seed (our desire) then he puts us in the sun and waters us and makes the wind blow and eventually the fruit grows.  I still have quite a way to go, but I am getting there 

This brings me to a wonderful revelation that I am still experiencing.  God's timing is PERFECT! 
I heard that, "well der!"
I know, anyone who has been to church or grown up going to Sunday School knows that God has a plan that is timed down to the last second.  We know that there is a time for everything and everything happens in the perfect time (you only have to have seen Footloose or listened to Turn, Turn, Turn to know that) because God made it that way.  But here it is, and I think you have to live it to really believe it. 

I have pain, I am not better yet, I have good days and bad days.  It seems that my good days are when they need to be and sometimes my bad days are too.  I might not think it is the right time for a bad day.. in fact when Dad is in hospital and I am in lots of pain, I tell God... not a good day.  But, He knows what He's doing.

My sister is having a baby... number 7!  no that is not a typo.  There are lots of people who think this is the worst timing ever... but I don't.  God has a perfect plan and as far as I am concerned this is exactly what the family needs, a brand new little life. 

I was angry when I finished university and didn't get a job straight away.  But, if I hadn't been a supply teacher for four years, I would not have gained the knowledge and experience I needed to do the job I have now.  I also would not have met quite so many teachers, parents and students who make up an interesting network.  I certainly wouldn't be where I am today. 

I left my church, which was hard and I thought I did it at the wrong time.  But the timing was perfect because there was still work to be done at my church that God had assigned to me.  My new church is a good place and I get what I need when I am there.  It is also the time right now, for me to be in the congregation and rest in God's embrace.  Not forever, but for now.  There is a beautiful and bright future ahead and I can't wait.  But, I have to. 

There are so many examples of God's perfect timing.  We need to sit up and take notice.  God has a plan and He knows what He's doing!