Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wimping Out

As February comes to a close, I have to admit that I am a little sad that Poetry Month will soon end.  There are a number of poems still left in me and my head which will one day burst out of me (that sounds like a terrible mess doesn't it?!) and jump onto the screen.  Also, there were a few poetry structures that I had intended on presenting to you, which I haven't. 

The Sonnet was one such form that I had planned on trying my hand at.  Most of us are at least familiar with the term "sonnet" because one William Shakespeare is an household name and this young man quite enjoyed writing sonnets.  In fact many of them have been printed and reprinted, read by the fire, copied into love letters and studied in classrooms for hundreds of years.  The form itself has also been mimicked by many a poetry student.  I, however, have "wimped out" on this one!  It is simply impossible for me to write a poem (usually about "love"... ick) using such a restricting  formula.  Admittedly, I do like using the word Iambic pentameter, but I do not wish to use the actual literary tool in my own writing... not on purpose anyway.  

I love Shakespeare!  Mum claims we are distantly related to his wife and the mother of his children, Anne Hathaway (not the twenty-something hosting the Oscars this year!), and his writing will endure through the ages as it has already.  I simply can not bring myself to fall into step behind such a great writer... what if I get it wrong?

So there it is... my take on Sonnets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!