Thursday, February 10, 2011

Other Poetry Places

Today's entry is less of a "Thank you" and more of an acknowledgement.  This month I have already shared some new forms of poetry and I intend to try my hand at more of them.  While it would be nice for all of you to believe that I remember everything I learned in school, this is only partly true.  I have had to do a a bit of research. Below is a list of the websites that I have found useful including a description of the features they offer.  I suppose this list is more for the teacher or the poet within.  However, most of these web pages and blogs include full texts of famous and not-so-famous (but reasonable talented) poets of the past and the present.  So I suppose the avid reader would enjoy a look too. 

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~poems/ps/index.html 
This page links to information pages for a range of poetry structures and examples.  This is probably the most useful site I have found for the budding author.  Not only does it describe the features of most poetry genres it usually gives an example of each and a step by step guide on how to write one.

http://www.kidzone.ws/poetry/index.htm
A great web page for teachers to add to the resource list, it contains information and classroom activities for a small range of poetry genres.  There are also links to other web sites that include full texts of poetry suitable for children, with colouring pages.  Links are organised by theme.  The kid zone home page also includes teacher resources for thematic units, mathematics and craft activities that are well worth the look.

http://theotherpages.org/poems/
A page I came across in my research.  I found it a little bit useful.  The best thing about this one is that it has full texts of some great poetry of all genres.  There is also substantial information included about famous poets of the past.  This one would be great for the secondary school assignment.

http://www.poetry-online.org/index.htm
While the categories may seem a little airy fairy, I think with some patience and a considerable understanding of what you are looking for, this site will be useful.  This is for those who are searching for a poem suitable to a specific occasion or theme.  There are links for children's poetry, vocabulary and genres, as well as information on poets.  A useful section on how to write poetry and some ideas to get started is also included.  However, for the teachers out there, I would translate this into "kid speak" before presenting it to the class.

So, there are the acknowledgements.  I am thankful for the people who contribute to these web pages, as it has provided me with the information I needed, in my very own "special" language.  These people (and their websites) are the reason that you - my dear reader - are being subjected to 28 days of all things poetry! 
"Don't ya just..... love 'em?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!