Friday, May 17, 2019

Frozen Party for a 5 Year Old

Long time AGT readers will know that I planned and hosted an epic FROZEN birthday party for my niece when she turned 10 (click here to see the details).  She is now 13 years old and her youngest sister is turning 5 this month.  Miss (almost) 5 said that she wanted a Frozen Party too.  Luckily, my mum and I don't like to throw things out, so we had lots of decorations and even prizes ready to use.  This made life so much easier.

As you can imagine, a birthday party for a 5 year old is quite different to a birthday party for a 10 year old.  We used the same snow flakes and streamers that were left over from the first party.  The main difference was that my 5 year old niece was more interested in games and fun so we kept it far more low key.

The photo booth had less pieces in it and only a few dress up props.  This was plenty.  We played a "Who am I?"  Pass the Parcel.  Each layer of the parcel had a picture of a character from Frozen, or photos of family members.  When the music stopped, the person holding the parcel was allowed to open one layer of wrapping paper, then to keep the trinket/ lolly, they had to tell everyone who was in the picture.  We played music from the movie for this game.
We got some much better photos, but due to privacy, 
I prefer not to show them on this blog.  


I made some glittery white playdoh (click for the original recipe) for the next game titled - "Do you want to build a snowman?"  Everyone got a ball of playdoh to make their own snowman. I played the song from the movie while we built our snowmen.  This was a big hit. After the organised games, this was the winner during the free choice activities.

Nearly every family party we have includes a "Pin the whatever on the whoever".  Of course, this party was no exception. We played "Pin the Nose on Olaf", which I bought for about $5 a few years ago.  We have played this game a few times and it's still good.  So worth the $5.

I also printed out some colouring pictures and mazes for the kids to do during free choice time. The Sensible Mom also had some great printable activities and there are more colouring pages available.

Food included: sandwiches, troll balls (meatballs), a cupcake tower (which was also the birthday cake), Sven snacks (carrot sticks) and some chips.  I planned for a water station with a carrot in the bottom, but the teenage brothers and sisters wanted soft drink, so my water station didn't happen. You can see below, that the table was decorated with doilies and snowflakes (cut from doilies and laminated).  We used $2 blue plastic tablecloths on the table and we hung white plastic tablecloths over the vertical blinds to make a snowy backdrop for the photo booth.
Home made cupcakes, decorated by Grandma!  The best. 

We decorated the table using ideas on my Pinterest Board.  

We played a quick game of "Musical Statues" where the children danced while the music played and when the music stopped they had to Freeze (pretending Elsa had frozen them).  I also had 'musical chairs' up my sleeve as an extra game in case they needed more organised play time.  After eating, I gave the children some free time to play with playdoh or colour in and there were a few of their favourite toys to play with as well. This gave us time to take the children one or two at a time into the photo booth and take a photo of them.  That was fun.  The adults enjoyed this as well.

All in all, it was great fun.  Miss (almost 5), had a wonderful time and that's what it's all about.

Check out all the fun and ideas from other parties I have pulled off for my nieces and nephews by clicking here. Check out my Frozen Pinterest Board here.

Party Hard, Sleep Hard!